REBIRTH CANAL IS:
- Camille Mai (composition, vocal, piano)
- Darian Gray (drums)
- Schuyler Karr (bass)
- Daniel Riera (flute, EWI, sax)
REBIRTH CANAL SOUNDS LIKE:
- Body-melting grooves from odd-time slump to trigonometric samba
- Debussy-style chords that drip like clarified butter
- Soaring microtonal vocals in English, French, Portugese & Vietnamese
- Original tunes that will make your brain dance and your butt think ;)
A Bay Area native of Vietnamese and French descent, Camille Mai was born in 1993 and started composing for piano as soon as she could reach the keys. In 2005 her family moved to Paris, where she studied composition with pianist Jay Gottlieb and performed with local jazz and pop acts. By the age of 18 she had recorded two EPs.
Now a regular of the San Francisco music scene, Camille has been featured in venues as diverse as Yerba Buena Gardens Festival, the SF Conservatory of Music, Carnaval SF, Peace Day Fest, and the Red Poppy Art House where she was a resident artist in 2014 and 2015. In 2015 she organized a tour of the West Coast with her then-jazz ensemble, The View From Bernal Hill. Camille has also been commissioned as a composer for interdisciplinary projects like Dia de los Muertos at Davies Hall, Teobi’s Dreaming and 43 Artists for Ayotzinapa.
Camille also lives a double life as an illustrator. As a visual artist, she creates and designs all of the band’s album art, posters, and website. In addition to freelance work for clients such as Soltrón SF, Watsky, and the Diego Rivera Mural Project at City College, she is currently writing a graphic novel chronicling her grandmother’s childhood in 1950's Saigon.